Experience early learning reimagined at The Learning Sanctuary Freshwater
Our modern long day care and early learning centre is ideally located for families in Freshwater, Harbord, Queenscliff, North Curl Curl, North Manly and many other Northern Beaches suburbs.
We understand how busy the daily routine can be for our families, so we offer an all-inclusive child care and early education experience. From nappies and wipes to nutritious meals prepared daily, everything is included in the daily fee.
Our childcare centre is conveniently located in the heart of Freshwater, close to main bus routes into the CBD for easy drop-offs and pick-ups.
Why you’ll love The Learning Sanctuary Freshwater
|Quality learning resources||Nappies, wipes and bed linen|
|Preschool program||Regular updates and photos|
|Nutritious meals||Community visits|
- Qualified and experienced educator team who are dedicated to developing a great relationship with your family and children.
- We’re proud to be rated Exceeding the National Quality Standard. The National Quality Standard encompasses the seven key quality areas that are important for children’s learning and development.
- We offer an interest-based learning program guided by the national Early Years Learning Framework (EYLF) for children from nursery to preschool age.
- Our modern, two-storey centre features creative learning environments and the latest interactive technology.
- Our spacious and natural outdoor areas cover two levels of the centre encouraging exploration and learning through play. They include a cubby house, the HMAS Freshwater, water play area, balance beams, slides and sandpits.
- No need to worry about packing lunches or snacks. Our in-house chef prepares healthy seasonal food that children can’t wait to devour. View menu sample here.
- Nappies, wipes, bed linen and formula are included for your convenience.
- A kindergarten program taught by a bachelor qualified early childhood teacher. The program will prepare your child socially and emotionally for the next step in their early education journey.
- Receive regular photos and updates on your child’s learning experience through our parent communication app, so you will never miss a moment of your child’s day.
- We proudly provide flexible hours (9-hour, 10-hour or full-day sessions) to allow families to make the most out of their Child Care Subsidy.
- We regularly welcome special community guests to the centre based on the children’s interests to extend on the children’s learning.
- Our sustainability program teaches children how to care for the planet.
Hear from some of our families at The Learning Sanctuary
Meet the Centre Manager – Jess Stewart
My career in early learning began in 2009, and I started working at The Learning Sanctuary Freshwater in August 2021.
I graduated from Charles Sturt University in 2008 with a Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood). After graduation, I worked casually at Mona Vale Public School before I began my career in an early education and care service in 2009. My first job was as a toddler room leader, and since then, I have gained experience in each age group, have taken on roles of assistant director and centre manager before having my daughter, Kaia, in 2015. After returning from maternity leave, I went back on the floor teaching part-time in a preschool room. I had my son, Arlo, in 2017 then again returned to teaching part-time, this time in a tiny tots room. I was fortunate enough to transition to the toddler room with this same group of children, where I took on the role of toddler room leader.
My interest in the early childhood industry began on a school trip to Peru, South America, in 1998. As part of our trip, we spent three days at a Youth at Risk School with children aged from infants up until teenagers. With a language barrier – us not speaking Spanish very well and the children not speaking English – we were able to form wonderful relationships through non-verbal communication and by being present, offering love and support and showing interest in their day. The impact our short time made on these children was heartwarming, and from then on, I knew I wanted to do whatever I could to help enrich the lives of young children through forming trusting, secure relationships and education.
Children learn best when they feel safe, secure and supported. When a child is seen as capable, someone who has a voice, someone who is valued and seen and respected for their individuality, a child has the opportunity to thrive. At the foundation of this are relationships between a child and educator, relationships between a child and child, and relationships between an educator and the families. As a long daycare community, we can form these trusted relationships. We can enable each child to achieve short term and long term goals and set them up for lifelong learning and success. My teaching style reflects this as my priority is to form trusting relationships with the children and trusting partnerships with the families. I teach with respect, kindness and enthusiasm and show a genuine love for early childhood education and care.
These early years are the most important and valuable time for a child as it shapes their unique identity and paves the way for their attitudes towards lifelong learning and how they explore and make sense of the world around them. Being a part of a child’s early education journey is a precious gift, and I feel privileged to share in their growth and development as they approach and reach various milestones.
Connection to the community creates a responsive, safe, and stable education and care environment, promoting children’s belonging and learning. Having everyday experiences and participating with the people and places enables children to observe, engage, understand and actively contribute to their expanding world. This supports children to live interdependently with others, be decision-makers and can participate in different communities. After all, ‘it takes a village to raise a child’, and an early childhood education and care service can provide these otherwise unavailable opportunities in the home.
Being a mum myself and having two children who have spent time in an early education setting, I offer my understanding. I understand how challenging it can be to leave your little ones, but I believe by forming trusting, collaborative relationships with the families, we can work together to meet the needs of each individual child and family. I continually strive to create a welcoming environment where your child/children feel safe, secure and supported to reach their full potential – a place where you feel confident your child/children will receive the love, care and learning opportunities they truly deserve.
Meet the centre Chef – Jimena Visscher
I’m a creative energetic culinary professional, passionate for the food industry with focus on healthy food, vegetarian, vegan, Mediterranean and comfort food. With a Latin flavour background, I’m always keen on learning and expanding my knowledge in food preparation and food trends.
Coming from Peru, a country where food is one of our main staples and what distinguishes us from having one of the best cuisines in the world, has definitely influenced me and my passion for food. I learnt and started to develop an interest in cooking and baking at the age of 7 years old, when I used to help my grandma in the kitchen. Since she was always baking birthday cakes for every member of our big family, along with savoury dishes like spinach and chard pie, homemade strawberry jam, almond biscuits and many other delicacies on a daily basis. Then as a teenager, I started baking and selling some desserts as a way of generating my own income. Years later, I developed and managed an online business of vegan sauces and dips called “Colibri Gourmet”, gaining experience in the food industry providing catering and being the operations manager for a busy cafe in Lima.
Hence, food has always been a part of me and I can honestly say that I consider myself a foodie by all its means, since I’m totally passionate about food and anything related to it. Moreover, I’m always curious about trying new recipes and new ingredients, as well as adding my own creativity and adapting them to any occasion, following my client’s desires and needs as a private chef.
I feel really blessed that I am able to work doing what I love to do and one of the most rewarding feelings is getting positive feedback from people that enjoy my food, just as the kids that get excited when I bring them their meals and their parents telling me that their kids are enjoying what I prepare for them. I definitely express my love through my food and I’m grateful that I can bring joy to other people by doing that.
Book a tour to meet our dedicated team and see everything The Learning Sanctuary Freshwater has to offer.
Rooms and Facilities
The Learning Sanctuary Freshwater provides early education and child care for children from nursery age through to preschool. Each room has been planned and set up to deliver the best early learning experience for your little one.
Nursery 1 (6 weeks to 12 months) and Nursery 2 (12 months to 2 years)
Our Nursery rooms provide:
- A safe, secure and homely environment for your little one to thrive.
- Qualified and devoted educator team who truly care about children’s wellbeing and growth.
- Activities designed to grow physical and cognitive development, including tummy time, sensory play, music, singing, rhymes and reading.
- A continuation of your family’s home routine including sleep and feed times.
- An open-door policy for families that allows them to drop in for a visit any time of the day.
Toddler (2 – 3 years) and Early Learners (2.5 – 3.5 years)
Our Toddler and Early Learners room offers:
- Play-based activities including music, movement, memory and construction games that are designed to support sensory-motor and cognitive development.
- Enhanced social skills and self-confidence through group play.
- The ongoing development of language skills through reading and open-ended questions.
- Real-life and play-based experiences that allow children to engage in basic literacy and numeracy concepts.
Preschool (3 – 5 years)
Our Preschool rooms provide:
- A Preschool program aimed at further developing literacy, numeracy and social skills.
- With longer and more convenient hours than traditional Preschools – 7:30am to 6:00pm, five days a week, 52 weeks of the year – your child will be truly prepared for school and life beyond.
- Interest-based learning places children at the helm of their early education experience.
- Play-based opportunities to further develop social skills and emotional development.